IMPORTANT NOTE

Hello, and welcome.
I would like to inform you that I AM MOVING.
...well, sort of. I have started a new blog, Oui Crochet, that focuses just on crochet, crochet patterns, and crochet resources. I am in the process of building it up as a one stop shop for all things crochet, and I am very excited about it. I hope you will come over and check out my progress. :)
I will be moving my patterns from this site, to my new site. My idea is to leave this site active, so that you can still access other aspects of this site. I will also leave a modified "introduction" post where each pattern is on this site, as to keep all links active and make it so that you can easily locate the pattern's new home. As an added bonus, you will also find new printable/downloadable versions of my patterns.
I apologize for any inconvenience, but I assure you, this change is a positive one. I look forward to seeing you at Oui Crochet.
Happy Crocheting!


Thursday, May 23, 2013

Couscous Recipe

Are you ever falling behind in your daily activities, and in need of a quick fix for dinner?
Yeah, me too!
Couscous is a tasty and very quick side dish that can be whipped up in less than 15 minutes. It pairs nicely with chicken, so on those busy evenings, you can grab some leftovers or one of those rotisserie chickens from the grocery store, a quick salad or frozen veggie, and the couscous, and dinner is on the table in less than a half hour!
Nice, right?

Before I share the recipe, let me share a little about couscous.
First, what is it?

Here is what Wikipedia says:
"Couscous  is a traditional Berber dish of semolina (tiny granules of durum wheat) which is cooked
 by steaming. It is traditionally served with a meat or vegetable stew spooned over it. Couscous is a staple food throughout the North African cuisines of Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Mauritania and Libya."



In the U.S., couscous sold in grocery stores has typically been pre-steamed and dried. It may (or may not) be labeled "Instant". Couscous is prepared by adding 1 cup couscous to 1 1/2 cups boiling water, removing from heat, and covering. I like to add a little flavor to couscous by using chicken broth, garlic, and onion.
This is how I make mine: 

Couscous
What You Need:
2 cups couscous
3 cups chicken broth or 3 cups water + 3 TB chicken bouillon  granules
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1 TB coconut oil

What You Do:

  1. Melt coconut oil in a large saucepan or skillet.
  2. Add onion, and cook, stirring, for a couple of minutes, until it starts to soften. 
  3. Add garlic and cook, stirring, another minute.
  4. Add broth or water+bouillon, and bring to a boil.
  5. Turn off heat, stir in couscous, and cover. Let it sit five minutes, then remove cover and fluff with a fork.
  6. Serve hot.

Photobucket
Click here to see which super parties I link up to!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback from my readers!
Please feel free to leave a comment or share your ideas!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...